Salmon Burgers are one of our favorite summertime dinners! They're healthy and super delicious with any number of sides you can add to complete this tasty dish. Perfect for a BBQ or a night by the pool, grab your loved ones and try these burgers that I promise are to die for.
To make this delicious homemade Salmon Burgers, you will need the following ingredients (full measurements in recipe card below):
For the salmon patties:
- 1 ¼ pounds salmon fillets, skin and bones removed
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the coleslaw:
- 3 cups purplecabbage, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, julienned or shredded
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt(or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper(or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (if pan frying the patties)
- 4 hamburgerbuns
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST PATTIES FOR SALMON BURGERS
- Combine the patty ingredients. Cut the salmon fillets into 1-inch strips and transfer into a food processor. Add breadcrumbs, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, dill, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Process. Pulse mix on and off for 1 minute until coarsely chopped. You can also chop the salmon fillets by hand into ⅛-inch diced pieces and use a spatula to mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until evenly combined.
- Shape into patties. Take about ½ cup salmon mixture at a time and use your hands to firmly shape into 4-5 large patties. You can wear disposable gloves for easy clean up.
- Chill. Refrigerate or freeze for 10-15 minutes to allow the salmon patties to firm up a bit more.
Cook the patties. You can pan fry, air fry, or bake the patties.
- To pan fry: Heat oil in the skillet over medium heat until sizzling hot, about 2 minutes. Place patties on the skillet and cook until nicely browned and firm, about 5 minutes per side.
- To air fry: Add salmon patties in batches in the air fryer basket and cook at 375F for 12-15 minutes until nicely browned. Flip once halfway through cooking.
- To bake: Add salmon patties to a large parchment-lined half sheet baking pan and bake in a 375F preheat oven for 15 minutes until nicely browned, flipping once.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE SALMON BURGERS
First, make the slaw. In a medium mixing bowl, combine cabbage, carrot, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir well until evenly combined.
Next, slice the hamburger buns and toast them on the grill or in the frying pan, if desired.
Finally, assemble the burgers. Place the salmon patties on the bottom half of the bun and top with coleslaw. Place top bun on top and serve immediately.
SALMON BURGER TOPPINGS
You can also add any additional fixings that you like to your salmon burgers, such as:
- tarter sauce
- fresh or fried onions
- thinly sliced, fresh or roasted bell peppers
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- pesto sauce
- sliced cheese, such as provolone or mozzarella
Salmon burgers are delicious and filling on their own. If you want to make a complete meal, serve your salmon burgers with classic burger sides such as:
- Greek Fries
- Caesar Salad
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
- Lemon Parmesan Asparagus
- Air Fryer French Fries