Perfectly Fall Pasta!
Baked pasta doesn’t need to take every pot in your kitchen or lots of different steps. This weeknight-friendly version uses one skillet, one pot, and plenty of cheese. Make with your family or just for two, this dish is so delish and perfect for the beginning of fall!
Ingredients8 servings Kosher salt
12 ounces Fontina and/or aged cheddar cheese
6 garlic cloves
2 large sprigs sage
1bunch of broccoli rabe
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 cups half-and-half
1 pound ridged medium pasta shells, or large tube pasta, such as lumaconi or rigatoni
Place racks in center and upper third of oven; preheat to 325°. Heat a large pot of water over high. Add several tablespoons of salt and bring to a boil (this is for your pasta).
Grate 12 oz. Fontina cheese on the large holds of a box grater (you should have about 4½ cups). Smash 6 garlic cloves, peel, and coarsely chop. Pick all sage leaves from stems and set aside about 10. Finely chop remaining leaves (you should have about 1 Tbsp.). Trim tough dried ends from 1 bunch of broccoli rabe, then cut stems into 2" pieces. Leave leafy ends long.
Heat a deep, large, ovenproof skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high. Add ¼ cup oil and swirl to coat. Remove 1 lb. sausage from casings and add to skillet. Break into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook, undisturbed, until sausage is browned, about 4 minutes. Stir a couple of times and continue to cook, undisturbed again, until sausage is fully cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.
Add garlic, chopped sage, and ½ tsp. red pepper and cook, stirring, until garlic is golden, about 2 minutes.
Stir in 2 cups half-and-half and simmer until sauce is thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
Gradually add about two-thirds of cheese, bit by bit, stirring constantly and letting cheese melt completely before adding more, until sauce is smooth and thick, about 3 minutes; season with salt and remove from heat.
Meanwhile, cook 1 lb. pasta shells in boiling salted water 2 minutes shy of package instructions (8–10 minutes depending on type). During the last 2 minutes, add all of broccoli rabe to pot with pasta. Drain in a colander and shake several times to remove excess water. Return pasta and broccoli rabe to empty pasta pot.
Add cheesy sausage mixture from skillet to pot with pasta. Stir until pasta and broccoli rabe are coated in sauce, then transfer everything back to skillet.
Cover skillet tightly with foil and bake on center rack until pasta is tender and sauce is bubbling, 30–40 minutes. Let rest a few minutes while you heat broiler.
Remove foil and top with remaining cheese. Toss sage leaves with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a small bowl and arrange over pasta. Broil until cheese is browned and bubbling in spots, about 5 minutes (depending on strength of broiler).
Let pasta cool a minute or two before serving!
- Back to School Month!
- Summertime Storms
- Iced Out Summer
- Celebrating Independence!
- Celebrate Fathers!
- BBQ Season!
- Happy Pride!
- Honoring Our Troops!
- Summertime Fun
- Mental Health Awareness Month
- NABIP Summit
- Spring Time Is Here!
- Easter Sunday!
- Celebrating Passover
- Happy Womens History Month
- Presidents Day
- Dinners Made With Love
- Black History Month
- New Year, Same Recipes
- Happy New Years From HIA
- Remembering The Angels We Lost on 12/14
- Holiday Baking Season
- Happy Holidays!
- Thanksgiving Recipe Special
- CTAHU Bowling for Boobies Charity Tournament
- Sweet Treats for Fall
- Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- Family Fall Recipes
- Inflation Reduction Act to be Signed Into Law!
- Omnipod DASH® is Covered Under Medicare Part D for Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- Health Agents Seek Reversal of CMS Rule on Recording Medicare Advantage Calls
- Rainy Day Pot Roast with Carrots and Potatoes
- Social Security COLA Estimate Rises to 10.5% for 2023 as Inflation Accelerates in June
- National Ice Cream Month
- Staying Cool in the Summer
- Mens Mental Health Month
- Happy First Day of Summer!
- Four Steps to Figuring Out How Much Money You Need to Retire
- Important Update about Covid-19 Test's
- Celebrating Pride Month
- Happy Memorial Day!
- Happy Mother's Day!
- Mental Health Awareness Month
- Medicare Announces Coverage of Over-The-Counter Covid 19 Tests
- Statement from Kilolo Kijakazi Acting Commissioner for Social Security
- Important Medical Device Recall
- Spring is Right Around the Corner!
- Last Day's of Summer
- Valentine's Day!
- Salute the Troops!
- Applying For Medicare
- Time to Travel!
- Celebrating Black History
- Happy Halloween!
- Summertime Delight
- National Domestic Violence Awareness
- Stay Up To Date With Everything Medicare Offers
- Tips for Preventing Medicare Fraud
- Omicron Variant: What You Need to Know
- Fall is Here!
- Spring is Here!
- Medicare Annual Enrollment Period 2022
- Summertime Refreshments
- Happy St Patricks Day!
- Happy New Year From HIA
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- The Always Changing Social Security Landscape
- Dance Your Way Through Life
- Medicare Supplement's
- Happy Independence Day!!!
- Medicare Reminder
- Happy Valentines Day!
- COVID-19 Updates